Monday, April 28, 2008




































Ok, sorry for the long delay on the blogging, just now getting back to civilization with internet access. So last Monday I set out on what ended up being a 7 day camping adventure deep in the heart of the Australian bush, and what an event it was. I met tons of great people along the way from all over the world; I met people from England, Turkey, Germany, The Netherlands, India, and a few local Aussies as well. I traveled to the Twelve Apostles , The huge rocks in the water pictured above somewhere, with a group of these travelers on Tuesday, and then set out on my own to continue camping. The next night I chased down a small herd of 6ft kangaroos through the wilderness, but Wednesday was the unforgettable day. As I was setting up camp about 15miles in the forest all by myself, I look down to see a 4ft Tiger snake slither next to my shoe, and so in keeping with my values, I grab the camera and long stick and let the adventure begin. Turns out the Tiger snake is one of the worlds deadliest ( no surprise for me), but what I didn't know was that it is one of the only snakes in the world that will aggressively attack and chase you instead of trying to get away.

So, as I am poking it with my very long stick, it stands up about 8 inches off the ground, flattens its neck like a cobra, and starts coming at me, so I put the camera on the ground and you can see what I was seeing as I was running for cover like a small school girl.

I also found out later on that night as I was paranoid-ly shining my flashlight on the ground every few seconds that the ground was also covered with scorpions...I left first thing the next morning in quite a hurry. But not before coming across Bull Ants that are almost an inch long.

At the next campsite I came upon a heavenly creature, a big koala just sitting in the road, and after deciding against putting him in the backseat and taking him, I feel we shared quite a beautiful moment, although he was probably just a little high off all the eucalyptus, still it was special.

The trip will definitely be a highlight of my time spent here in Oz, as well as the shower I had after going a week without one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that photo of you playing the guitar and it's black and white! Very artistic! Love em. xx

Elysia & my James' said...

Yea! You're back and alive. I missed reading about you and your adventures! Glad you're having a blast.