Tuesday, February 26, 2008








Well first, I need to start out by explaining the video below before its watched, and how we are well known around Magnetic Island, and smalltime local celebrities, if you will. So today is the 2 week anniversary of not wearing a shirt, and it has been a glorious 14 days of innumerable bug bites, sunburns, rashes, and most of all, being a main topic of conversation around the island. So we became friends as I mentioned in a previous blog with Chris Franklin, the Australian stand up comedian, and we were invited to a comedy show with some popular Aussie comedians that was being held here on the island, so of course we were honored and made quite the appearance. With our prestanding no-shirt contest coming upon the zenith of its existence at 2 weeks, there was no way we could end our streak so close, so we decided to chance it and head to the show in our formal island attire, jeans, shoes, and a necklace to hopefully offset our bare chests. Well we do manage to get in despite this being one of the nicer clubs on the island, and we said to ourselves once inside, "what luck, front row seats!"
This is where things went horribly wrong, unbeknownst to us at the time. None of us had ever been to a comedy show, otherwise we would have known better, but anyway we sit, and the show starts. To paint this painful picture for you there are two Americans, Texans at that, sitting in the center of the front row, feet from the comedians, with no shirts on in a formal hall, where I might add people are wearing shirts, most are actually in semi nice attire...
To make a long story short, we were the majority of all 3 comedians' acts, and I don't think I have ever enjoyed being publicly mocked more than I did this night, mainly because they bashed us nonstop and with such indescribable vulgarity, but with that really cool accent; somehow it was almost like a compliment...hmmm. The guy at the bottom of the blog in the video is Chris, and he was really tasteful about his Texan jokes, as you can watch below. The main guy however, called us terrorists, made a comment about how Colin and I were responsible for 9/11, told us to deliver the F-word to the much loved George Bush next time we see him, who by the way is viewed a little less than ideal over here as I've found out, and told us we could leave the country as soon as possible. Just throw in about 14 minutes of explatives and that was the act.

It was all pretty funny though, and I talked to the comedians after the show and we all had a good laugh and he confessed he secretly likes Texans, but we are just such an easy target, especially when we don't wear shirts...so I was ok with this.

I then got attacked by the grand-cougs; two 60ish year old women, who said, "if I had a body like that I wouldn't wear a shirt either", a strange little woman came and rubbed my back while I was turned the other way, and then the woman in the pic above tried to bite my nipple for the picture, and it was at this time that I decided it was time to run for my life, and barely made it out alive. Why me?

Anywho, here is the video, and I am also getting a plan together for the rest of my trip here in Australia, it is looking like I will be sailing around the Whitsunday Islands on a 3 day yacht tour the latter part of next month, then heading to Melbourne for 2 weeks to see the city and stay with some friends I made here at the hostel last week, and finally going over to Perth to finish my last 2 months. This is the plan for now anyway, and I should know more definites in a week or so once I get all this booked, but it looks like my time here on the island will be drawing to a close in another 2 or 3 weeks..on to see more of the land downunder.

3 comments:

Joe and Lindsay Rodden said...

So far, so good my brother. Lindsay and I send our best regards and hope the tramp across Auz is as fun as it sounds. Keep watch out for the grand-cougs, you can't say you weren't warned by all of us that night at the Glass Cactus. Lins and I are faithful readers and will continue to be so always, I love ya brother! (And of course Pete lives on in our hearts forever!!!)

Joey and Lins

Bex said...

this is hilarious! everytime i read about one of your new adventures, i get even more jealous...

Unknown said...

Wow that is awesome!! Pretty soon you will be talking like that.