Tuesday, March 11, 2008








Its been a really good relaxing few days here on the island as our time comes to a close. Today was day 28 of shirtless Aussie summer, thats right, a full 4 weeks without dawning upper clothing, and I'm really starting to wonder how hard its going to be returning to shirted society...not something I'm particularly looking forward to. One of the staff we work with, Lisa, took us out to the ocean pier a couple days ago and we fished all afternoon, and ended up catching some interesting things, definitely not your average Texas perch. or catfish. We caught a lot of small I forget what they're called, a freaking huge pufferfish the size of a watermelon, as shown in the video below, and I caught a Rock Cod, but it is almost small enough to be considered bait, so we'll just say we were shark fishing but were unsuccessful.





Then yesterday we went for our usual mid day mountain hike to a nearby beach, and ran across our 4th Death Adder, so we sprung for the usual "pick up the deadly snake with a stick and video it", another successful day on Maggie Island. Although this guy was much more calm, I think we have achieved Snake Charmer status with the locals, but I think its time for me to get off this island so I can find something better to do with my time.





Only two more days of scrubbing toilets, which is always a good thing, then on to our yacht sailing, then staying in Melbourne to finish out March. I think the most exciting prospect about the near future is chinese food in Melbourne, and this is amplified by the fact that I've been having the same 5 entrees for dinner every single day for 5 weeks, so I'm about ready for something besides PB&J for breakfast and lunch, and Chicken Curry for dinner, but I make sure and get my daily beach time in to offset this depressing thought. It's worked thus far.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're 4th Death Adder experience would've been my 4th heart attack.

Are you trying to be the next Steve Irwin in more ways than one?

Got your message on facebook, we'll talk soon!

Jon

chance n said...

www.skincancer.org

Might wanna go ahead and check it out... not to be a downer or anything.

And here's some FUN FACTS about skin cancer that I got from the site:

Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States. More than 1 million skin cancers are diagnosed annually. (1)

Squamous cell carcinoma is the second most common form of skin cancer. More than 250,000 cases are diagnosed each year, resulting in approximately 2,500 deaths each year. (5)

One in 5 Americans and one in 3 Caucasians will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime. (3)

More than 90 percent of all skin cancers are caused by sun exposure.

A person's risk for skin cancer doubles if he or she has had five or more sunburns. (2)

It's because I care Jeff... it's because I care. I hope you enjoy skin can... Australia!